OCU410 (AAV-RORA) is a modifier gene therapy product candidate being developed for the treatment of dry age-related macular degeneration (Dry AMD). OCU410 utilizes an AAV delivery platform for the retinal delivery of the RORA (RAR Related Orphan Receptor A) gene. Various genes associated with AMD are regulated by RORA. The RORA protein plays an important role in lipid metabolism and demonstrates an anti-inflammatory role, which we believe could be a potential therapeutic candidate for dry AMD.
About Age-Related Macular Degeneration
Dry AMD affects approximately nine to ten million patients in the United States and there is currently no approved treatment for the disease. AMD is a degeneration of the macula of the retina that leads to impairment and loss of central vision. AMD is characterized by thickening and loss of normal architecture within Bruch’s membrane, lipofuscin accumulation in the retinal pigment epithelium (“RPE”), and drusen formation beneath the RPE in Bruch’s membrane. These deposits consist of complement components, other inflammatory molecules, lipids, lipoproteins B and E, and glycoproteins. Dry AMD involves the slow deterioration of the retina with submacular drusen, atrophy, loss of macular function and central vision impairment. Currently, there is no approved treatment for dry AMD, which accounts for 85-90% of the total AMD population.
- Olivares, a. M. et al. Multimodal Regulation Orchestrates Normal and Complex Disease States in the Retina /631/114/2114. Scientific Reports 7, 1-16, doi:10.1038/s41598-017-0788-3 (2017).
- Jun, G. et al. Influence of ROBO1 and RORA on Risk of Age-Related Macular Degeneration Reveals Genetically Distinct Phenotypes in Disease Pathophysiology. PLoS ONE 6, doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0025775 (2011).
- Katie L. Pennington and Margaret M. DeAngelis. Epidemiology of age-related macular degeneration (AMD): associations with cardiovascular disease phenotypes and lipid factors. Eye Vis (Lond). 2016; 3: 34.
- Xiaoyan Ding, Mrinali Patel, and Chi-Chao Chana. Molecular pathology of age-related macular degeneration. Prog Retin Eye Res. 2009 Jan; 28(1): 1-18.
- Silveira, AC. et al. Convergence of linkage, gene expression and association data demonstrates the influence of the RAR-related orphan receptor alpha (RORA) gene on neovascular AMD: a systems biology based approach. Vision Res. 2010 Mar 31;50(7):698-715.
- Sun, Y et al. Nuclear receptor RORα regulates pathologic retinal angiogenesis by modulating SOCS3-dependent inflammation. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2015 Aug 18;112(33):10401-6.